As an exhibitor, it’s important to communicate your key messages about your brand effectively. On average, you have about three seconds to capture the attention of other people when it comes to your booth. The rewarding part of trade show day is providing a memorable experience for attendees, connecting with like-minded individuals who appreciate the engaging and unique form of marketing small and mid-sized businesses present.
There are some key aspects of graphics you need to keep in mind to ensure attendees are satisfied with their experience:
Have you attended a trade show yourself? What booths do you normally gravitate to? Ones with brand personality, of course! With so many exhibitors to compete with, you want your booth to stand out on trade show day, so having a strong brand personality is the way to go. Your brand’s personality should portray human characteristics such as honesty and commitment to customers. Having a cohesive message while capturing the eye of attendees all matter.
In addition, you also have to think about the target demographic and what value your brand’s personality can offer to future customers.
Once you’ve got these factors in check, now it’s time to think about what graphics you want to use that highlight the key messages of your booth.
Here are some questions you should ask yourself when planning the goals and expectations you need to set before designing your booth:
- Is my brand outspoken or reserved?
- Are we playful or serious?
- Who do I appeal to: younger or older audiences?
- Is my brand considered masculine, feminine or gender-neutral?
- Would I consider my brand traditional or innovative?
- What colours or fonts should I use to capture my brand’s personality?
- Do I want to establish a formal or playful relationship with clients?
When answering these questions, these will form a structure for how your booth graphics will turn out. It will determine your use of colour and fonts to complement your graphics so think carefully about your brand’s personality before moving on to the next stage of design.
Where should I place the trade show graphics?
The purpose, size and visibility of your graphics are elements you should be focusing on for your booth. To make graphic placement easier, dividing them into three categories will help you plan effectively. These include:
- Long-range graphics: the graphics you use that are 30 metres or more away. It’s important that attendees are able to understand what is being conveyed even at a distance. Normally, these graphics should include your brand’s logo, mascot or a signature product.
Placement: For Island or peninsula exhibits – placed as a hanging sign or tower.
For inline exhibits – placed on kiosks, back wall signs or canopies.
- Mid-range graphics: these graphics can be viewed 3-15 metres from the aisle and are commonly used to display the identity of your company and the products and services you sell for customers.
Placement: Outer walls of an island or peninsula exhibit.
Can be featured on the back wall of an inline display. Graphics should be seen on an eye-level.
- Short-range graphics: the graphics used here are ones that already communicate your brand’s message when attendees are inside your exhibit space. This can include products or company information such as infographics, charts and graphs.
Placement: They need to be read on eye-level within the space.
Colour is key
The colour you use to effectively communicate your brand’s message is vital when trying to display information and your brand’s personality. The colour scheme needs to complement your overall marketing design and be bright enough to stand out from your competitors.
Picking an effective colour scheme is important as the way you arrange colours and graphics has context to the audience. How you frame these on your exhibit needs to give the feeling of harmony when viewed. Make sure you pick colours that make your exhibit appealing, balancing both colour unity and diversity!
Not sure what each colour means? Check out our colour chart and pick the colours that suit your brand’s identity!
Red: intense, passionate, energy, attention-grabbing.
Blue: trust, reliable, responsible, calming.
Purple: creativity, luxury, sophistication, mystery.
Green: earthy, growth, natural, prestige.
Orange: bold, exciting, fun, vitality.
Yellow: warm, cheerful, motivation, positive.
Brown: comfort, simple, richness, natural.
Black: elegant, formal, classic, sophisticated.
White: purity, perfection, cleanliness, new.
Overall, brand personality, placement of graphics and colour schemes are all important elements when it comes to the creation of your trade show graphics and your exhibit’s visibility. Remember to think thoughtfully and logically about your audience and always design something that perfectly describes the look and feel of your brand!